Project Dosti’s mission is to equip participants with a new understanding of a foreign environment in order to change attitudes and actions at home. Dosti does this by sponsoring students to spend 6-8 weeks working with a school in rural India (our 2 partner organizations are AGN School and Aarti Home). Volunteers live and work at the organization, and play an active role in the implementation and design of the project. They will be in unfamiliar circumstances and will grow their curiosity, experience, and skills to meet challenges. In short, Project Dosti provides students with the opportunity to gain a better understanding of a specific region of India, promote the sharing of cultures and ideas, and encourage personal learning and growth in a foreign environment.
Dosti volunteers are students from Stanford University working towards fulfilling a recognized need in a particular community. We work with 2 In the field, volunteers participate in a variety of projects which attempt to match individual strengths to specific facets of the proposed project. Past Projects that Dosti volunteers have worked on include:
- designing interactive lesson plans and teaching students in a variety of subjects: math, science, engineering, computer science, etc
- social, health, and economic surveys
- annual report for nonprofit
- the creation of an Etsy store to help the nonprofit create a sustainable fundraising source
- raising funds and providing supplies for local projects
- new website design for the school
- Fall Quarter: Past volunteers host informational meetings on campus
- Winter Quarter: The written application deadline is in February. The second stage of the application process is an information interview with a past volunteer. The third stage of the application process is a formal interview with Haas Center staff and Dosti leaders. Accepted and Waitlisted students are notified in March.
- Spring Quarter: Participants attend orientation, weekly workshops, and preparation events.
- Summer Quarter – off to India!
- Participants are required to support Dosti recruitment events the following Fall Quarter.